Monday, January 15, 2007

MaxAdventure - Blue Mountains

Yesterday at Leonay NSW (the foot of the Blue Mountains), was where it started. The first MaxAdventure race of 2007. Due to numbers we were to start a hour behind the first group at 10:00. 8hr52mins later Mark and I finally carried our kayak up the enbankment to complete a long day. The presentations had long finished, the prizes distributed and speaches given, only the organisers and a few weary compeditors remained contemplating the day.

It was a gloroius day, it started with a run leg, the off onto the mountain bikes and we headed up the Blue Mountain. Then back down to the transition area, and off on the trek leg, a kayak (up the Nepean), back on foot (through the Blue Mountains National Park @ Glenbrook). The leg was particularly challenging as it required us to traverse through Glenbrook Gorge - no track) and finally back in the kayak to finish the day.

We did make a couple of navigation errors that cost us about an hour and a half over the course of the day, but we did finish (even some of the elite teams didn't finish) and we did collect "all" the checkpoints. The only injury for me was my right knee about an hour out from the end. While I was certainly tired I was not a compelete wreck which I'm claiming as a victory to me.

Here's to the next event.