Monday, May 04, 2009

Brooklyn to Berowra - the wrap up

Well, it was my intention to attempt the 30km walk within 4 hours, but after a promising start, things started to slow down on the descent to Jerusalem Bay, and while the climb out wasn't to bad (heading to Cowan) it still required effort. I was happy knowing that this was the direction we would be going on the actual day. The reverse direction after 70km didn't bear thinking. Once on the ridge (Cowan Station), Nick and i began the descent to Berowra Waters. Again a steep descent and the inevitable ascent start to take it's toll, but I knew this wasn't going to be easy. Again I'm thankful that the toughest sections are in the first half of the 100km's, and not the back end.
 
My knee started playing up on the descents, so I'll need to be careful and focus on some isolation exercises.
 
It ended up taking a tad under 5 and a half hours, not too bad for a section I've never walked before, so that's the baseline.
 
If we can get to Apple tree bay before night fall I'd be very happy, but now I know what I have to do.
 
P